Over 60 people turned up to the meeting at Goldsmiths Student Union to support the campaign to prevent the proposed Goldsmiths Trust undermining locally accountable community schooling in Lewisham. Unlike the Council’s thinly attended ‘drop-in’, parents, teachers, support staff, councillors, lecturers and students attended our meeting last night. The turnout and range of people involved showed the potential strength of our opposition – opposition which we now need to mobilise in all the ways we discussed last night. These included:
- Responding to the ‘consultation’ – getting initial responses back by July 20th
- Lobbying governors – as the individuals who can take the decision to stop the Trust, by letter, personal contact etc.
- Leafleting parents – I plan to draw up a 2-side leaflet. We will be leafleting outside Addeys and Standhope school on Monday 6 july at 3.15pm – please lend your support.
- We also want to organise leafleting at Deptford Green and Crossways – please let us know if you are available.
- Protest meeting – we need to confirm time and venue for a well-publicised public meeting next term.
- Strike action – union members need to discuss now with their colleagues about the need to organise action.
These plans – and any other ideas – will be confirmed at the next:
Campaign committee on Wednesday 8 July, 4pm, Room 141, Ground Floor, Goldsmiths (near the main entrance).